A backstory

I was born on Diwali night. My brother on Shivaratri. This is how we knew birthdays. This is when we actually celebrated birthdays. This is the mother would make payasam, we would offer 'archana' at the temple. The other date - the Gregorian date was just another day for us.

I remember asking this question to mother - why is that the date is constant, but this Nakshatram date keeps changing - and she did not have an explanation.

My native place is Kerala - very close to the place where Adi Shankaracharya was born. In our native village - all the references were usually connected to the Malayalam calendar - the rains, the summer, the weather, the birthdays.

Some more on this as it occurs to me, but the Indian calendar has been with us, like a quite flowing river. Its time we dipped into it, perhaps!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Indian calendar in practice

How it all began?